Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Vapoteurs should we be alarmed at this news? Mmmm.

I was a bit alarmed to read this - its a summary of this.

This is a manufacturing issue and after some thought during the night I realised it can be put right.

Basically, in prefilled cartomisers tested from one suplier in USA over a two year period,
Quote:-
"The filament, a nickel-chromium wire, was coupled to a thicker copper wire coated with silver. The silver coating was sometimes missing. Four tin solder joints attached the wires to each other and coupled the copper/silver wire to the air tube and mouthpiece. All cartomizers had evidence of use before packaging (burn spots on the fibers and electrophoretic movement of fluid in the fibers). Fibers in two cartomizers had green deposits that contained copper. Centrifugation of the fibers produced large pellets containing tin. Tin particles and tin whiskers were identified in cartridge fluid and outer fibers. Cartomizer fluid with tin particles was cytotoxic in assays using human pulmonary fibroblasts. The aerosol contained particles >1 µm comprised of tin, silver, iron, nickel, aluminum, and silicate and nanoparticles (<100 nm) of tin, chromium and nickel. The concentrations of nine of eleven elements in EC aerosol were higher than or equal to the corresponding concentrations in conventional cigarette smoke. Many of the elements identified in EC aerosol are known to cause respiratory distress and disease."
CONCLUSIONS:
"The presence of metal and silicate particles in cartomizer aerosol demonstrates the need for improved quality control in EC design and manufacture and studies on how EC aerosol impacts the health of users and bystanders." End quote

Oooo - I don't like the bystander bit! Reminds me of SHS. But we can expect persecution of SHV too.

On the whole, the report on the testing of the cartomisers didn't give me the feeling of pre-determined-planned-attack-on-vaping mode by the researchers who did it, especially when you read the care they took in their research (second link).What do you think?

Some vapers do not use cartomisers because of the stuffing in them. I don't use them because I think they spoil the flavour of my e-liquid. So I use tanks. And I make my own atomisers - but I am still using wire and wick. And I really don't know what kind of metal the shaft in my tanks are. It has occured to me that everything seems plastic, and I know plastic releases chemicals too.

I am sure we will make progress in making vaping very safe. God knows what came into my lungs over fifty years of smoking! My vaping is better for me - I can FEEL it.

Also, we live in such a hypocritical world. We have spent billions to stop people smoking and blaming every illness under the sun on the habit, when we are harming ourselves with all kinds of emissions like deisel, plastics, etc and now we purposely put nanoparticles in cosmetics, medications, clothing, cleaning products and sun block. Who is worrying about THAT?

So - what the hell! 

I shall carry on vaping vapoteurs - it's still better for me than smoking. But today I have been counting my puffs!

from Wonder Wikipedia

 
Diesel exhaust pollution is thought to account for over one quarter of the total hazardous pollution in the air, and a disproportionately high share of the load of sickness and death caused by pollution.[2]

No comments:

Post a Comment